Tuesday, January 7, 2014

don't sweat the small stuff

Many of us have heard the expression 'don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff', but I contend that the small stuff can do you in. Case in point. The kitchen is an alluring place and we can all vouch for that. The kitchen can also double as a place that requires much work and maintenance.

This has to do with a dishwasher. The dishwasher soap dispenser sticks and does not snap open to allow the detergent out to clean the dishes. I counted 17 minutes exactly when the trap door would make a snap sound signifying that the soap contraption was attempting to open, then I would open the door manually and snap open the soap dispenser. Contemplating buying a new machine I decided first to do some digging.  I saw that the door was clogged with hardened black gunk that had accumulated over the years. It was nasty. I worked for days on an unclogging mission and reached success. Temporarily, that is. When I decided to sit back the do-hickey got stuck once again.

One cold more like frigid day last week, the dishwasher plain stopped. I went on a search mission for a new machine but decided I would bail the water out this one time and try the machine again. Evidently the pipes were frozen (as was the toilet, but that is another story) and the machine decided to cut me a break and start. I was gleeful and expired a sigh of relief.

I'm not sitting back on my laurels though, to forestall getting caught off guard, my intentions are to continue to look for deals on dishwashers and toilets, the water saver ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment